Cakes! What comes to your mind after hearing this? As soon as I hear someone saying cakes, my cravings start for it and want to eat it at the movement (well am actually a cake lover).
I guess this might be a case for most of you as well.
Cakes or pastries are the most loved dessert. Also, we all know that cakes are an important part of the birthday celebrations and no birthday bash is complete without a cake.
So, if you plan to make a birthday cake at home, this article on how to bake a cake in a microwave is a perfect guide for you.
But before I take you further let me tell you something about microwave and microwave oven. Dont worry wont take long.
What is the difference between Microwave and Microwave-Oven?
When we say microwave, many of you might have a question in mind regarding the difference between microwave and microwave oven.
So, before starting, I would live to clear your doubts, and I hope this will give you a better understanding of both these terms.
Microwave: Well this one is used for heating purposes. It throws the heat waves in the horizontal direction, which helps to heat the food quickly.
If you have you can see the below image for more details how this thing exactly works.
Microwave Oven: On the other hand, a microwave oven has a bit advanced technique of heating.
It throws the heat from all the directions, which makes it suitable for baking.
So, microwave and oven both do the same tasks but in a different way. Now, you might wonder or be a little confused, whether you can make a cake in microwave or not?
Dont worry! You can still make a cake at home in microwave using a normal heating mode.
Is convection microwave oven necessary for baking cakes?
The answer to this question is NO. As I said earlier, you can make a cake in microwave in normal heating mode, but you will have to follow some guidelines mentioned below.
- You will have to use microwave-safe cookware, consisting of a microwave-safe glass cake dish or a silicon baking item.
- Please avoid using the steel rack that comes with the microwave, as it’s unsafe to use in the normal heating mode. You just have to keep the microwave-safe glass dish on the revolving plate to bake the cake.
- It takes 5-7 minutes to bake a cake in the normal mode, so keep track of the timing.
- The texture might be slightly different, and so your cake might also be dry. To make it moist, you can dip it in the sugar syrup.
What is preheating, and how can it be done in a microwave?
Preheating is a process in which you heat the microwave and make it warm from inside before baking. This process is similar to heating oil before frying.
With modern technology, all the ovens have the automatic setting of preheating the oven before baking. All you have to do is to set the temperature and the timing for preheating the microwave.
If you don’t have this option on your microwave, then don’t worry, you still can preheat it. You just have to set the temperature required for the recipe and then select the timing for heating and start the microwave without keeping anything in it for baking.
How to set the temperature while baking a cake in a microwave?
When you use a microwave to make a cake at home, make sure that you set the right temperature. If your microwave has a convection mode, then set it to 180-degree Celcius, and if it doesn’t have, then set it to the level 10. All the normal or regular microwave has level 10 as the maximum heating level and to bake a cake properly, you will have to bake it at that level.
How long will it take to make a cake in microwave?
The total time required to bake a cake is 10-15 minutes only, as the microwave heats faster. Also, one more reason to bake in such a less time is the temperature that we set, i.e., 180 degrees Celcius or level 10 heating. The overall time required for baking a cake is less as compared to the microwave ovens.
How to bake a cake in a microwave?
As now you have got some knowledge about making a cake in microwave. So let’s start the actual procedure of baking a cake in a microwave.
- Mixing the cake batter
Take a bowl depending on the quantity of the batter. Add 3/4 cup of softened butter and 3/4 cup of all-purpose flour in it. Mix these ingredients well with a spoon or a spatula and make it smooth. You can take the flour depending n the quantity of the cake.
- Adding the remaining ingredients
Pour 3 tablespoons of milk in the batter, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, and crack 3 eggs in the mixture. Mix or stir the batter and make sure there are no lumps in the batter.
Note: the quantity of the ingredients may vary, depending on the amount of the flour mixture.
- Adding the flavor to the cake
Flavoring of the cake depends on your taste or preference. If you want to make a chocolate-flavored cake, then add more 1/3 cup of cocoa powder in the mixture, and if you’re going to make a vanilla-flavored cake, then add 1 more spoon of vanilla extract in it.
- Mix all the ingredients in the batter well
There are two ways to mix the batter. First, manually using a folk for a few minutes, till the batter turns smooth and free from lumps and second, using the electric blender.
The blender takes 4-5 minutes to smoother the mixture. Making use of a mixer will save your time as well as perform the task efficiently.
As an alternative to the blender, you can also use a food processor to mix the ingredients. The processor takes approx one minute to mix well all the ingredients.
- Pour the cake batter in a safe microwave dish
When baking the cake in a microwave, make sure that you use a compatible microwave vessel and not a metal vessel.
Pro Tip: Make use of a shallow vessel to bake the cake properly and give you the best results.
Baking the cake
To start the baking process, put the cake in the microwave and let it bake for 3-4 minutes on full heating mode. Slowly you will notice that the cake will bubble and puffing in the microwave.
After baking the cake for a few minutes, its time to check whether the cake is fully cooked or not. So, remove the cake from the microwave and insert a toothpick in it. If the toothpick comes out clean, that means your cake is ready, and if the stick comes out with a cake residue stick to it, that means the cake is not fully prepared and needs to be baked.
Again place the cake in a microwave for one minute and then check with the toothpick. If it’s clean, then your cake is perfectly ready for frosting, and if not, then repeat the baking procedure for 1 minute till the cake is thoroughly prepared. Make sure that you do not overcook the cake, as this might make your cake dry.
Enjoy your perfectly puffy cake. You can eat it as it is or top it with frosting and decorate it as per your choice.
Frosting the cake
Now, as the cake is ready, you can add some frosting to it, to enhance its taste. You can opt for frosting that is readily available in the market or make it on your own. You can make the different flavored frosting as per your choice. If you don’t know how to make frosting or is new to it then don’t worry, to help you out with frosting, I have mentioned some frosting recipes below.
- Cheese Cream Frosting
If you like the sweet and tangy taste, then this flavored frosting is best for you. To make the cream cheese frosting, follow the below steps.
- Take a large bowl, and mix 1/ cup of unsalted butter and cheese cream to it. Make sure that both these ingredients are softened, else the frosting might have lumps, which will be a bit difficult to blend or beat.
- The next step is to whisk both the ingredients for 3-4 minutes with high speed. You can also make use of a whisk machine or a blender to perform this task. Continue the process until both the ingredients are combined and formed in a smooth paste. Note: During the whisking process, the ingredients might stick to the bowl’s side, so you will have to scrape it down to the bowl and again continue the process.
- Stop the whisking process, add 3 cups of powdered sugar, 1 spoon of vanilla extract, and 1gram of salt. Beat all the ingredients until the powdered sugar is mixed with all the ingredients. It would take hardly 30 seconds for the powdered sugar to mix with the well with the other frosting ingredients.
- If you want to make a chocolate flavor frosting, then you can add 1/2 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder and 15 ml milk or heavy cream to the mixture.
- Keep mixing till the frosting becomes thick and completely smooth. Also, keep in mind that you have to scrape down the mixture that sticks to bowl and start beating again.
- Note: If you want to make use of a pipe to make frosting designs on the cake, you need to add more powdered sugar 30 grams approx to make it thicker.
- Now the frosting is ready to use. You can directly apply to the cake or refrigerate it for some time and then use it on the cake. Ensure that you keep the leftover frosting in the refrigerator in an airtight container so that it doesn’t get spoil at room temperature. And while using the frosting again, frost it for a minute and then use it.
2. Simple Buttercream Frosting
If you prefer the super sweet flavor, then buttercream frosting is perfect for your cake. To make this frosting, follow the steps mentioned below.
- Take a bowl and add 1 1/2 cups of softened butter and 2 3/4 cups of powdered sugar in it. The use of softened butter makes the batter smooth and prevents the formation of lumps.
- If you want to a chocolate-flavored frosting then, add 2 1/2 cups of powdered sugar and 3/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder. You might also need 1 to 2 tablespoon of milk when you are whisking the frosting.
- Now you can start the beating process and continue till the powdered sugar mixes well with the buttercream. You can do it manually or with the help of a blender.
- Mix 2 tablespoon of vanilla extract and 3/4 tablespoon of salt to the mixture and mix it well. Instead of vanilla, you can also use other flavors like banana, coffee, or lemon.
- Continue beating the frosting on medium speed for 5-6 minutes till it becomes light and fluffy. Blending the frosting for a shorter time might make it thick and hard to spread on the cake. Don’t forget to stop and scrape down the frosting to the bowl.
- Now, slowly pour 6 tablespoons of heavy cream in the mixture and mix it well. The cream will loosen the frosting and make it airy. You can also taste the frosting and add the salt ad vanilla extract as per your taste preferences.
- The buttercream frosting is completely ready with a soft consistency to be put on the cake. You can make the frosting thicker by adding 1/4 cup of powdered sugar in it. Don’t forget to mix it well till the frosting becomes thicker. The leftover frosting can be stored in a refrigerator for 5 days in an airtight container.
3. Whipped Cream Frosting
If you like slight tangy taste, then you can opt for whipped cream frosting. Follow the below steps to make this frosting.
- Before making this frosting, you will have to keep the mixing bowl and the whisker, or you can say beater in the fridge and let them cool for some time, as this will help to whip the cream faster and give your frosting more volume.
- Now remove the bowl and the beaters from the fridge and add the ingredients to it. Add 1 cup of heavy whipping cream, I/2 tablespoon of vanilla extract and 1-2 tablespoon of granulated sugar. Tip: Avoid using lightweight cream containing less than 35% fats as such cream won’t be having enough fats to whip.
- If you want to add chocolate flavor to your frosting, then add 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder and 1-2 tablespoon of granulated sugar to the whipped cream and continue the beating process.
- Whip the cream for 1 minute till the fats in it make the frosting thicker as per your preference. If by mistake, you whip the cream for long, it might start turning to butter. So, if this happens, then add little heavy cream to it so that it loosens.
- Now, your frosting is ready to be put on the cake. You can also refrigerate it for a few hours before using it.
Decorating the cake
As your cake and frosting are ready, so now its time to decorate the cake and make it look more tempting. To ease your task of deciding how to decorate the cake, I have come up with some decorating ideas, as mentioned below.
- Sprinkles are the most commonly used decorating the cake. So, you can spread some colorful sprinkles on the cake to decorate it.
- Thinly sliced strawberries that are brushed with seedless jam. If you can also use other fruits like mango, apple, pear, etc. for decorating the cake.
- You can also make use of choco chips on the cake if you love chocolate flavor.
- For nice texture you can also shave the coconut or chocolate bars on the cake to give it a .
- Nuts are also a good option for decorating the cake. You can spread the toppings of almonds, cashew nuts, or pista on it.
Handy tips if you are baking in a microwave
- When you are baking in a microwave in a normal heating mode, make sure that you are using the microwave-safe ware.
- When you are using convection mode, always make sure that you have preheated the microwave.
- Before you make a cake at home, bring all the ingredients to the room temperature so that it becomes easy to mix.
- Position the oven rack in the middle so that the cake bakes evenly from all sides.
- You can make use of aluminum cake mould and cupcake mould if you are using convection mode.
- using convection mode.
- Fill the batter to 2/3 so that the batter can expand and rise without overflowing from the pan.
- Before turning the main switch off, make sure that the microwave is completely cooled down.
- After preheating the oven, quickly put the cake batter in it, else the heat in the microwave will cool down a bit.
Baking a perfect birthday cake in an oven is quite challenging for most of the people. I hope this article has answered your query of ‘How to bake a cake in a microwave.’ To ease your task, I have mentioned the frosting recipes as well, so that you can make a yummy cake for your loved one’s birthday bash. I hope you liked this article and found it helpful. Do share it with other friends or family members, so that even they can make a tasty cake at home.
If you have tried any other cake decorating ways, then share it with the other readers in the comment section below.